Grimsby back in Football League after thrilling overtime win

Jordan Maguire-Drew scored a late injury-time winner as Grimsby secured an immediate return to the English Football League with a dramatic play-off win over Solihull Moors.

Maguire-Drew capped a stunning Mariners turnaround when he struck from close range in the 112th minute of a convincing Vanarama National League play-off final at London Stadium on Sunday.

Solihull, which was only founded in 2007, was on course to reach League Two after taking the lead through Kyle Hudlin late in the first half.

Yet Grimsby, who needed more time to win their previous two play-offs against Notts County and Wrexham, dug deep again and leveled John McAtee before Maguire-Drew snatched it late.

Their winner came after a long throw-in from Jordan Cropper, who had caused confusion via this route early on. Joe McDonnell had to save after a throw clumsily deflected Hudlin in the opening minutes.

Solihull quickly set up and went close as Callum Howe headed narrowly wide from a corner and Max Crocombe saved superbly from a deflected shot from Andrew Dallas.

Grimsby was frustrated as two penalty appeals were dismissed. Cropper was first challenged by Callum Maycock as he prepared to shoot and McAtee then appeared to be grabbed by Kyle Storer as he dragged Gavan Holohan off.

Harry Clifton also fended off a big chance for the Mariners after being picked off by Erico Sousa at the far post.

Moors took advantage of those reprieves to take the lead in added time in the first half.

Harry Boyes played a fine ball into the box and Joe Sbarra lifted a cross to the far post after a Dallas layoff. Hudlin timed his jump perfectly and planted a firm header home.

Grimsby rallied after the break and Clifton nearly turned away in a missed Holohan shot before McAtee fired a shot.

The equalizer came with just over 20 minutes left after Solihull gave the ball away and Andy Smith played McAtee with a nice long ball. McAtee kept his composure and finished calmly with a low shot through the goal.

Solihull wanted a penalty after Dallas went down shortly after the restart but nothing was given and McAtee nearly snatched the win from Grimsby when he pushed wide in the final minutes of regulation time.

The game remained stretched into extra time, but the decisive blow came eight minutes from time when the ill-fated Dallas headed a Cropper throw past Maguire-Drew and it headed home.

Christy J. Olson